Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Men Who Left a Mark: Jam Capistrano

The first time I saw him, it was at church. He was leading prayer and worship night and I couldnt help but notice how good he sings. And of course, how good-looking he is. But what I noticed most about him is the way he earnestly worship God while he leads. When on stage leading service, some worship leaders tend to play along the line of worshiping and performing. But he did not. That whole night, he did not even went near that line. He was worshiping. Never performing. His heart was earnestly singing to God.

He's famous. He lived the limelight. He was part of the guy group Wiseguys. But whenever you will see him at church, it wouldnt strike you as someone who was once there, someone who once lived the life. He seems so humble, so nice and there is no negative adjective that follows his presence.

The first time I got to talk to him, I had to tell him something that one of his small group members did to me. I asked for his help regarding the situation. He told me he will do something with the situation. After that night, the next time I saw him was when he and his small group member would meet with me and my small group leader to fix the problem. I wouldnt go into details of the talk but all i can say is, it was a humbling experience. The situation was solved yet he solved it in a peaceful way. He was so patient with me and his small group member, and never once did he raise his voice to us. It did not feel like he was scolding us. It felt more like he was comforting us. I did not expect that kind of treatment considering the situation. But nonetheless, I was glad that he was the small group leader.

That day, he said something that I would never forget. It made me hold on to God more in terms of my love life. He said, "Kung siya na nga yung talagang para sayo, pumunta ka man ng Appari at siya sa Jolo, kung kayo talaga, magtatagpo at magtatagpo kayo harangan man namin kayo ng sibat. Kasi What God has opened, no man can close and what God has closed, no man can open." When I heard that, I said to myself, "I will only know that the one I'm praying for is my God's best if God will tell me the same words that Kuya Jam told me."

After that talk, I had some chat with Kuya Jam and I told him, "Kuya Jam, sa kasal ko ikaw kakanta ha." He answered me, "Ano bang kanta? Basta ba alam ko at alam kong yung pakakasalan mo eh yung tamang lalaki para sayo na ginawa ni Lord para sayo." Yes, I want him to sing at my wedding. And I know that he can say the one I'm set to marry is already the right one.

In those months that I was earnestly praying for my God's best, I would always tell God, "God, I want my God's best to be like Kuya Jam. A man of God, a worshiper, a leader." And yes, Jeremy is like Kuya Jam. He counsels like Jam and talks like Jam. Why wouldnt he? He belongs to Kuya Jam's small group. He was discipled by Kuya Jam.

Isaiah 22:22 "what he opens, no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open."

1 comment:

  1. I like cofee so much that made me realize now that i forgot to talk to God first in the morning.. :(

    ReplyDelete